Nan Huaijin, a Chinese spiritual teacher, died last month at the age of 94. He had many followers and popularized complicated spiritual ideas on living.
Someone sent me this list this morning. It was titled, “Six qualities for being a person,” and just reading it makes me less stressed. Less stressed about my unending workload, too many emails, my temporary residence in my boot cast and the 24/7 news cycle.
1. Be calm; speak less, listen more.
2. Be slow; do things unhurriedly, neither impatiently nor impetuously.
3. Be patient; faced with injustice, don’t become angry or give vent to pent-up feelings.
4. Yield; step back, be as boundless as the sea and sky.
5. Be light. View everything lightly, for many things will become smoke with the passing of time.
6. Be even, which is being ordinary, being balanced.
I have to say I particularly like number 5 for its visual image that whatever I’m worried about right now will be nothing more than vapor a week from now.
Works for me. Have a great weekend.